Right about now, you and your family are, most likely, ready to pull out your hair. You’ve been stuck at home and boredom probably hit around day three.
Sound about right?
Whether you have young kids to homeschool and entertain or you are searching for something new to do, I have you covered!
For your convenience, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on some of the links below, though your cost does not change, I may receive a small commission. For more information, see our privacy and disclaimer page.
When you’re stuck at home
Maybe summer has dragged on far too long and you’ve exhausted your list of “summer must-dos.”
Or perhaps COVID-19 has you cooped up with no immediate end in sight.
When life is hard and everything around us is either dragging on for an extended period of time or something has forced us into a hibernation mode, our patience can be short and our emotions running high.
I’ve found that there are two ways through some of the most difficult challenges in our life.
- Stay rooted in God’s promises. Just knowing that he is not up there wringing his hands and trying to figure out how everything is going to turn out brings me great peace.
- Keeping my mind occupied and choosing to use the hard times as a way to find fun, new ways to combat what we are facing.
So whether you’re on your last leg of summer and ready for the kids to get back to school, or you are under a stay in place order,
I believe that some fresh new activities will energize you and get you out of that rut you are in.
So I reached out to some of my friends and whipped up a survival guide to get you through the boredom, keep you rooted in God and his promises, and help you to say healthy, both mentally and physically.
Faith and Inspiration
There is no time like the present to deepen your relationship with God. With so much unsettling news in the world, it’s the only way I can find hope.
And then, after your brief suffering, the God of all loving grace, who has called you to share in his eternal glory in Christ, will personally and powerfully restore you and make you stronger than ever. Yes, he will set you firmly in place and build you up. 1 Peter 5:10 TPT (Day 13 of the Free Hope & Faith Scripture Writing Challenge.)
- 10 Bible Verses About Hope & Strength from yours truly
- 12 Encouraging Scriptures with Free Scripture Cards from yours truly
- Free Hope & Faith Scripture Writing Challenge from yours truly
- 5 Bible Verses About Fighting Fear With Prayer from Books, Faith, & Coffee
- The Simplest Prayer For Fear To Conquer All Worry from The Beauty of Selah
It’s never been more important to stay on top of your finances. In these uncertain times, you must know where every penny is going.
Here are several of my favorite financial resources when it comes to managing your money. (Instead of letting it manage you!)
- 4 Things You Can Do Right Now To Live Below Your Means from Living Our Priorities
- Our Daily Bills from Living Our Priorities
- 90-Day Budget Bootcamp from The Busy Budgeter
- How to Change Your Finances in 2020 from Jessi Fearon
Battling Anxiety While At Home
Let’s face it, being cooped up inside the house can really wreak havoc on your mental state.
I’ve learned this first hand with my chronic migraines and it can be incredibly difficult to pull out of depression, so here are a couple of resources to help you navigate your way through.
- Overcoming Your Chronic Fear from yours truly
- How to Manage Depression and Anxiety When Life Spins Out of Control from Pam Stahl
- Christians And Anxiety: Everything You Want To Know from Sunshyne Gray
- 21 Therapeutic Journal Prompts for Anxiety and Depression from Classy And Not Basic
- Grounding Techniques for Anxiety from Nunzia Dreams
Staying Healthy While At Home
When you are stuck at home it’s important to have a backup plan to relieve stress and get some much-needed exercise.
- How To Make A Ceiling Mounted Pull Up Bar from Dream Design DIY
- 4 Easy Exercises To Do At Home from Calm. Healthy. Sexy.
- Quick 10 Minute Morning Workout Routine from Running For Sweets
- Easy At-Home Inner Thigh Workout from Ask Muscle
- Snack Tips For Hungry Children from Messy Adventure
- Apply Faith in Self Care: Free 5-Day Bible Study from My Life Nurse
If you are a DIY junkie and finally getting through that long DIY must-do list, here are some fun, new projects to keep you busy!
Oh, and now is the perfect time to get started on this year’s Christmas gifts!
- Easy DIY Beehive from yours truly
- DIY Throw Pillows With Your Silhouette from yours truly
- 8 DIYs To Battle Cabin Fever from Dream Design DIY
- How to Make A Pom Pom Rug The Easy Way from Little Yellow Wheelbarrow
- DIY Vinyl Christmas Ornaments from yours truly
- DIY Tiered Strawberry Planter from Hydrangea Treehouse
- DIY Outdoor Chair from Angela Marie Made
- DIY Round Macrame Boho Coasters from Curly Made
If you have school-age kiddos and need help navigating this new norm, here are some helpful resources to ease this transition.
- Fail-Proof Parent Guide to School At Home by Happy Teacher Mama
- How to Homeschool During a Crisis from Homegrown Scholars
- Free Homeschooling With Youtube from The Imperfectly Happy Home
- The Best Homeschool Planning Secrets And Hacks from The Deliberate Mom
Activities for the kids
Let’s face it, we could all use a little direction when it comes to keeping the kids busy, so here is a list of boredom busters for them.
- 50+ Free Printable Activities for Preschool-3rd Grade from Happy Teacher Mama
- What To Do Once the Schoolwork Runs Out by The Surly Housewife
- Planning A Virtual Playdate Party from Sweet Humble Home
- 17 Fun Activities For Your Bored Teenager To Enjoy from Tailoring the Good Life
- 16+ For Bored Teens from Empowered Single Moms
- School Cancellation Activity Pack from Happy Teacher Mama
- Christ-Centered Easter Morning Scavenger Hunt for Preschoolers from Happy Home Fairy
We love playing games at our house.
In fact, when my youngest comes home from college, it doesn’t take long before someone pulls out a deck of cards and our Game Ledger for a night of friendly competition!
- 66 Creative Things to do When Bored At Home from LeRyiah Arant
- Change Your Family Game Night from Living Our Priorities
- 50 Fun Family Activities To Build A Stronger Family from Jules & Co
- 30 Screen-Free Family Night Ideas For Making Memories from Joyful Bunny
Working From Home
Working from home with young children can be tough. Trying to stay on task while managing the constant interruptions can leave you frustrated and short on patience (or is that just me?).
Below are some resources to help you set boundaries and manage your time effectively.
- 10 Tips For A More Productive Day from yours truly
- How to Master Your Time And Be More Productive from Living Well Laugh Often
- How to Work From Home With Kids from Dream Dash Journal
- The Ultimate List of Productivity Hacks For Work-At-Home Moms from Family Felicity
- 15 Tips For Working From Home To Maximize Your Productivity from Blog Blossom
When you’re stuck at home from COVID-19 or summer has lasted entirely too long, you now have a great list of activities to keep you busy.
I’d love to hear from you.
Do you have something you like to do with your family when they are bored? Comment below and share it with us. We are always looking for new ways to turn a boring afternoon into a fun-filled day!
Thanks for stopping by the blog today. Grab your favorite beverage and take a look around before you go!
Until next time, my friend…
More great posts you may like
Pin for later
Special Note: This post may contain affiliate links. All opinions are my own. By purchasing products through these links, I may receive a small commission, however, your cost for the item does not change. Through this commission, I can continue my blog and purchase items to help in the day to day running of Footprints of Inspiration. For more information, see our privacy and disclaimer page.
Footprints of Inspiration is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”
Learning how to put our complete trust in God isn’t easy. We say we trust God, but what we really mean is that we trust Him for what we want, when we want it. At Footprints of Inspiration we uncover who you are and why you were created; how to walk in healing through forgiveness; and how to go before the Lord with confidence. Through this journey, you’ll discover that it truly is possible to experience peace, even in the hardest times in your life.
Tammy Rotzoll is the founder and owner of Footprints of Inspiration and podcast host at A Faithful God Podcast (which can be found on your favorite podcast player). She lives in Virginia with her husband and together they’re learning how to navigate their fun, new adventure as empty nesters.
Join Tammy and the FOI community and discover the freedom that comes from saying, “Heck yeah, God! I’m all in!”