Have you been wanting to deepen your relationship with God?
You spend time going to church, maybe even Sunday School and Bible Study. You pray every night, but there’s still something missing. You long for a deeper walk with Him.
I get it. I was there just two short years ago. That is until I started a prayer journal.
This post contains affiliate links
What a prayer journal will do for you
I’ve talked a lot over the last couple years about my prayer journal and how important it is to me. And since it has completely changed my relationship with God, it’s no wonder I think everyone should be using one!
Sitting down to devote time just to God, reading the Bible and a devotional, and writing it all down in your journal every day will really teach you what it is that God has planned for your life.
It’s not something I can teach you. It’s something that God will show you as you sit quietly in His Presence.
He’ll show you how He wants you to learn to live in the present with Him, and not worry about what tomorrow brings but rather showing you that you can find real joy in this moment.
So today I’m going to help you start a prayer journal of your own! I’ll be sharing what I use and how I use it, as well as some oh-so-cute journals that you can use for inspiration.
There are an infinite number of prayer journals to choose from, and if you’re the creative type, man oh man, the possibilities are completely endless!
Before we get started, there’s one important thing I’d like you to keep in mind:
When it comes to your prayer journal, it’s not about how cute it is or how much time you’ve spent making it pretty. It’s about growing in your relationship with God, diving deep and really getting to know Him (and yourself). (If you haven’t already, be sure to read What I’ve Learned From My Prayer Journal.)
What do you write in a prayer journal?
So just what do you write in a prayer journal? Well, that’s easy…..anything you want! This is your journal and it’s between you and Jesus.
Several years ago, I had no idea that anyone even kept a prayer journal. It was Aibilene, from the movie “The Help” that introduced me to this new concept. (Great movie by the way!) When Aibilene told Skeeter that she wrote out her prayers every day, I honestly couldn’t figure out why someone would do that.
Fast forward several years and now I can’t imagine my life without it.
To give you a little kickstart, I’ll tell you how I use mine.
- After I’ve read the day’s devotional, I write down everything that resonated with me. (My current devotional is Jesus Always by Sarah Young and I absolutely love it!)
- I then read the daily scriptures that go along with it and write down anything that stands out from the Bible.
- Lastly, I simply write out my prayers as if I’m sitting right across from Jesus having a wonderful chat with Him.
- I do add just a little pretty to my prayer journal by drawing the date at the top of the pages with some fun handwriting and borders, but that’s about all the “pretty” mine gets.
You know, just reading back through that list, it seems too simple to be as powerful as it is, but that’s the incredible benefit of a prayer journal! I think we are constantly overcomplicating our lives and all Jesus wants us to do is slow down and live in the present with Him. Simple as that!
Prayer Journal Inspiration
It’s so incredibly easy to get started with your own prayer journal.
You can simply grab a spiral-bound or composition notebook that’s lying around. Just pick it up and get started!
I personally have a lined journal that I got from Staples. (One thing I do want to caution you on, I’ve found that the thicker the paper, the better the journals hold up.)
I’m almost finished with my current journal and have already gotten the one below from DaySpring. It has a nifty little leather bound cover and comes with refillable paper. I’ll be sure to let you know what I think once I start using it!
I realize that everyone has different tastes, so I scoured the internet to find a little more inspiration for you!
- Praying the Promises of the Cross by Arabah Joy – there’s a free version here and then an entire kit with digital download available for $12 here. I recently received this in a bundle with some other resources and I can’t wait to dig in. If you’ve never had a prayer journal before, it’s definitely a great way to get started.
- I love how Christie from Sparkles of Sunshine puts her prayer journal together, and she has some free printables to help you get started.
- The Illustrated Faith Kits from DaySpring are another great place to find prayer journals and inspiration for them.
- If you’re a scrapbooker, you’re going to love Laura Rahel’s prayer journal.
- Keri at Growing in His Glory has a very simple, organized prayer journal. My kind of girl. Simple, neat and to the point!
- I love, love, love, Lynnae McCoy’s prayer journal! Another simple, yet organized way of making prayer and devotional time a priority. She has some free printables available for you too!
- Jen over at Grace in Color has a free prayer journal workshop to help you create your first prayer journal in a day. And she includes some free printables to help you get started!
So there you have it! Some of my favorite prayer journals.
My intent is not to get you worked up about what type of prayer journal to use, but rather to inspire you to start using one.
I believe with all my heart that once you do, it’ll change your life by helping you to begin focusing on all the blessings Jesus has given you, teach you to find joy despite your circumstances, and lift you up in knowing that He created you for a specific purpose.
Id’ love to see your prayer journal so be sure to take pictures and tag me on social media!
If you’re starting your journal for the first time, hit reply and let me know! I’d love to cheer you on while you get started!
Also, I’m almost finished with my current devotional and ready for a new one, so I’d love to hear your favorites! Just leave a comment below.
Thanks for joining me today! Be sure to say hi while you’re here!
Until next time, my friend……
P.S. Don’t miss out on a single post! Sign-up for my newsletter below and have them delivered right to your inbox!
Special Note: This post may contain affiliate links. All opinions are my own. By purchasing products through these links, I may receive a small commission, however, your cost for the item does not change.
Footprints of Inspiration is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”
MORE GREAT POSTS YOU MAY LIKE
Join our newsletter
Subscribe today and get every post, great tips and helpful strategies delivered right to your inbox.