Have you been wanting to deepen your relationship with God?
You probably spend time going to church, maybe even Sunday School or a Bible study. Perhaps you pray every night, but you find there’s still something missing in your life.
You’re longing for an actual relationship with God.
I get it. I was there just a few short years ago. That is until I started a prayer journal.
Today I’m going to help you start a prayer journal of your own! I’ll be sharing what I use and how I use it, as well as some oh-so-cute journals that you can use for inspiration.
For your convenience, this post contains affiliate links. For more information, read our disclaimers page here.
What a prayer journal will do for you
I’ve talked a lot over the last several years about my prayer journal and how important it is to me. And since it has completely changed my relationship with God, it’s no wonder I think everyone should be using one!
Sitting down to devote time just to God, reading the Bible and a devotional, and writing it all down in your journal every day will really teach you what it is that God has planned for your life.
It’s not something that can be taught by anyone, it’s something that God will show you as you sit quietly in His Presence.
He’ll show you how He wants you to live in the present with Him, and not worry about what tomorrow brings but rather showing you that you really can find peace, no matter what your circumstances are.
There are an infinite number of prayer journals to choose from, and if you’re the creative type, man oh man, the possibilities are completely endless!
Before we get started, there’s one important thing I’d like you to keep in mind:
When it comes to your prayer journal, it’s not about how cute it is or how much time you’ve spent making it pretty. It’s about growing in your relationship with God, diving deeper and really getting to know Him (and yourself). (If you haven’t already, be sure to read What I’ve Learned From My Prayer Journal.)
What do you write in a prayer journal?
So just what do you write in a prayer journal? Well, that’s easy…..anything you want! This is your journal and it’s between you and Jesus.
Several years ago, I had no idea that anyone even kept a prayer journal. It was Minny, from the movie “The Help” that introduced me to this new concept. (Great movie by the way!) When Minny told Skeeter that she wrote out her prayers every day, I honestly couldn’t figure out why someone would do that.
Fast forward several years and now I can’t imagine my life without it.
To give you a little kickstart, I’ll explain how I use mine.
- After I’ve read the day’s devotion, I write down everything that resonated with me. (If you’re looking for a devotional to start with, check out our 30-Day Devotional and Prayer Journal, Finding Peace in the Mess.)
- I then read the daily scriptures that go along with it and write down anything that stands out from the Bible.
- Lastly, I write out my prayers as if I’m sitting right across from Jesus having a wonderful chat with Him.
- I do add just a little pretty to my prayer journal by drawing the date at the top of the pages with some fun handwriting and borders, but that’s about all the “pretty” mine gets.
You know, just reading back through that list, it seems too simple to be as powerful as it is, but that’s the incredible benefit of a prayer journal!
I think we are constantly overcomplicating our lives and all Jesus wants us to do is slow down and live in the present with Him. Simple as that!
Prayer Journal Inspiration
It’s incredibly easy to get started using a prayer journal.
You can grab a spiral-bound or composition notebook that’s lying around the house. Simply open it and begin!
You can head to Target, Walmart, Staples, Office Depot…just about anywhere to find a cute journal that best suits you.
One of my favorite places to buy a prayer journal is from the online shop, DaySpring. In fact, the picture below is one that has a leather cover with refillable inserts. (Update: Truth be told, the journal below hasn’t been one of my favorites. It’s a great concept, but I went through the refillable papers a little too quickly.)
I realize that everyone has different tastes, so I scoured the internet to find a little more inspiration for you!
- Praying the Promises of the Cross by Arabah Joy – get it for FREE here.
- I love how Christie from Sparkles of Sunshine puts her prayer journal together, and she has some free printables to help you get started.
- The Illustrated Faith Kits from DaySpring are another great place to find prayer journals and inspiration for them.
- If you’re a scrapbooker, you’re going to love Laura Rahel’s prayer journal.
- Jen over at Grace in Color has a free prayer journal workshop to help you create your first prayer journal in a day. She includes some free printables to help you get started!
What to look for in a prayer journal
There are a few things I would recommend when looking for your first prayer journal.
- Heavier Weighted Paper: When using a thinner weight (like a regular notebook), it’s more difficult to read when you’re going back to reference something you’ve written.
- Index – This is one thing that I make sure all my journals have. You’ll love having an index so you can refer back to different topics when you find yourself needing some inspiration and encouragement. (If you find a journal you love that doesn’t include an index, simply use the first page or two as your index.)
- Scripture – It’s great to have a specific place to write some of your favorite scriptures so you can locate them easily. (Again, if your journal does not have this, designate a specific page just for this purpose.)
So there you have it! Some prayer journal ideas for you to try.
The important thing to remember is that it doesn’t really matter what type of prayer journal you use, just start using one!
I believe with all my heart that once you do, it’ll change your life! You’ll learn to focus on the many blessings Jesus has given you, start to find joy no matter what your circumstances are, and learn to stand on His promises for you each and every day.
If you’re starting a prayer journal for the first time, comment below and tell me what you think!
Also, my 30-day devotional and prayer journal, Finding Peace in the Mess has been released! Click here to get your copy now!
Thanks for stopping by the blog today. I’m truly honored to have you here.
Be sure to take a look around while you’re here, and don’t forget to pin anything you’ll want to refer back to later!
Would you like access to our FREE Community Library? Sign-up for our newsletter below and get all of our FREE resources in one location.
Until next time, my friend……
Pin for later
Special Note: This post may contain affiliate links. All opinions are my own. By purchasing products through these links, I may receive a small commission, however, your cost for the item does not change.
Footprints of Inspiration is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.”
MORE GREAT POSTS YOU MAY LIKE
Join our newsletter
Subscribe today and get every post, great tips, helpful strategies, and occasional special offers delivered right to your inbox.