We all go through times in our life when we feel beat down, restless and unfulfilled. Times when we want to get closer to God but we just don’t know how.
When these seasons go on for so long, they begin to feel like a bottomless pit with no end in sight; making it almost impossible to see God because our circumstances and the world are screaming louder than everything else.
But how do we get out of the mess? Is it possible to get closer to God when we’re suffocating in our circumstances and the world around us?
It sure is!
It’s going to require a little intentionality, and I’m here to help!
First, I want you to celebrate where you are right now.
You may be exhausted. You may be praying for something to change in your life. (Or maybe you’re so broken you have no more words for God, because let’s face it! That happens!)
But, my friend, brokenness brings breakthrough.
So again, I say, celebrate where you are right now because your breakthrough is coming! And I’m going to show you how to grow closer to God through a spiritual reset.
For your convenience, this post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase after clicking on one of the links below, though your cost does not change, I may receive a small commission. For more information see my privacy and disclaimers.
The path to growing closer to god
There are typically a few paths people take when they’re feeling restless, tired and broken. There are those who…
- Try to do it all on their own — in other words, in their own strength —instead of relying on God.
- Simply pull the covers over their heads and shut out the world.
- Become little mechanical robots just going through the motions to survive the cruelty this life has heaped upon them.
Or, if you’re like me, you attempt to hold it all together with a combination of the three.
Ready to hit the reset button on life and grow closer to God? Grab our FREE 4 Steps to a Spiritual Reset. Created to help you find peace and fulfillment in every area of your life!
Most of us want to trust God.
We want to rely on Him. But then we’re bombarded with distractions and next thing we know, we’re right back to clawing and fighting to make it through.
Sound about right?
But knowledge is power!
When we learn to recognize these behaviors and patterns in ourselves, we can acknowledge what we’re doing and take the necessary steps to draw closer to God.
And this is where a spiritual reset comes in!
A Spiritual Reset to Get Closer to God
A spiritual reset helps us take a step back for a few minutes each day and …
- Be deliberate about our time with God
- Pay close attention to the questions we ask Him
- Take some time for some honest reflection
Even for those of us who spend time with God most days, when life gets crazy, (hello 2020/2021!) often times, our time with Him is just another box we check off on our ever-growing to-do list.
Here’s the thing, friend.
We can’t just sit on the sidelines and wait for some sort of transformation in our life.
We have to participate!
Although, God is always with us in the form of the Holy Spirit, we still have to pursue Him! We have to be intentional and consistent about getting closer to Him.
Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world. James 4:8 NLT
Daily habits to get closer to god
Don’t you wish we had a little red, do-over button?
If only life were that easy!
Although it’s not as quick as simply pushing a button, getting closer to God and understanding His ways for you through a spiritual reset is far more powerful!
So before we get into what a spiritual reset is, let’s talk about spiritual discipline.
Spiritual discipline is when we take action and perform activities that help us grow closer to God spiritually, lean into Him, and gain wisdom about where He wants us to go in life.
I don’t know about you, but when I was growing up, I thought the word discipline was anything but positive!
What I didn’t realize (or take the time to find out otherwise) is that it simply means training.
So with a spiritual reset, we’re using spiritual discipline to get closer to God and train ourselves to rely on Him in our life.
It helps us to create habits, practices and experiences to develop, grow and strengthen our Spirit. A spiritual reset allows us to sit before God so that He can transform us.
“The Disciplines allow us to place ourselves before God so that he can transform us . . . The inner righteousness we seek is not something that is poured on our heads. God has ordained the Disciplines of the spiritual life as the means by which we place ourselves where he can bless us. In this regard it would be proper to speak of ‘the path of disciplined grace.’ It is ‘grace’ because it is free; it is ‘disciplined’ because there is something for us to do.” Brett & Kate McKay, The Art of Manliness
If we want to…
- Live a joy-filled life no matter what’s going on around us, we have to participate in the transformation we’re looking for.
- Experience fulfillment, we have to engage in our transformation.
- Heal from the pain others have caused us, we have to join with God in our healing.
- Understand God’s will for our life, we have to seek His wisdom, discernment and revelation for our life.
- Grow closer to God, we have to take a step towards Him.
“Spiritual discipline, then, is developing soul reflexes so that we know how to live. We discipline ourselves to develop soul memory in normal times so that we’ll be equipped for the times of high demand or deep crisis.” —Douglas Rumford
How a Spiritual Reset draws you closer to god
So how does a spiritual reset draw us closer to God?
- Renews our Spirit, so we are more aware of Him throughout our day.
- Helps us make better choices because when we’re more aware of The Spirit, we’ll know if what we’re feeling is guilt or conviction.
- Takes the focus off ourselves and our circumstances and puts it back on God.
- Changes our perspective and helps us remember just how big God really is.
- Helps us stop the urge to do things in our own strength.
- Helps us learn God’s desires and aligns us with His will.
Psalm 1:1-3 NLT Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners, or join in with mockers. But they delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night. They are like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season.Their leaves never wither, and they prosper in all they do.
- Gives us the courage to step out of our comfort zone.
- Teaches us to go to God before stepping out.
- Helps us stay in control of our emotions and the ability to be less affected by life’s challenges.
- Helps us resist temptation.
- Gives us strength and endurance to get through life.
- Helps us see the blessings in the midst of the busy, crazy and often times, messy day.
- Gives us hope in this uncertain world.
- Frees us from the pain of past mistakes and hurts.
What Getting closer to god isn’t
It’s important to note that the purpose of a spiritual reset isn’t about the reset itself, but rather what it produces. It’s about growing a long and lasting relationship with God.
You see, by spending time in His Presence, we learn how to listen for The Spirit’s wisdom, guidance and conviction.
Getting closer to God isn’t about earning anything. It’s learning how to sit in His Presence and more fully receive His grace.
It’s not about getting more things in this life, but rather, gaining more in Christ.
And the truth is, you may not fully understand that just yet, but stay with me, because when you begin to feel your life changing, that’s when you’ll send me an email and say, “Hey Tam! I totally get what you’re saying now!”
Spiritual Reset to DRAW Closer to God
Although it’d be nice if we could jet off to a private island and spend a few days getting into The Word and reflecting on our life, it’s not something most of us can do.
But it’s totally okay! You can make it work right at home!
Before you get out of bed in the morning,
- Grab your bible and read a couple of passages — just open up your bible or favorite bible app and start reading.
- Reflect on what’s going on in your life and ask God for His perspective.
- Ask Him to reveal any areas where you may need to change.
At the end of the day, grab a journal and go to bed 15 minutes early.
Reflect on the day and write down,
- What struggles you had throughout the day.
- Where you could’ve done better.
- What gave you peace and what didn’t.
- Ask God to reveal any areas where you can do better.
How to Get Closer to God Wrap Up
I know that growing closer to God seems daunting when your to-do list is a mile long or life keeps beating the mess out of you, but with some time, diligence and practice, it won’t be long and you’ll be longing for that time with Him.
Remember, transformation doesn’t just happen.
You have to put in the work.
With patience and intentionality, God will bring you through the challenging times and on to bigger, brighter days.
You’ll soon discover an abundance of blessings right in the middle of the messy times!
I’d love for you to join me for a spiritual reset. Grab 4 Steps to a Spiritual Reset to help you grow closer to God and find that peace and fulfillment we’re all so desparately seeking!
Until next time, my friend…
Learning how to put our complete trust in God isn’t easy. We say we trust God, but what we really mean is that we trust Him for what we want, when we want it. At Footprints of Inspiration we uncover who you are and why you were created; how to walk in healing through forgiveness; and how to go before the Lord with confidence. Through this journey, you’ll discover that it truly is possible to experience peace, even in the hardest times in your life.
Tammy Rotzoll is the founder and owner of Footprints of Inspiration and podcast host at A Faithful God Podcast (which can be found on your favorite podcast player). She lives in Virginia with her husband and together they’re learning how to navigate their fun, new adventure as empty nesters.
Join Tammy and the FOI community and discover the freedom that comes from saying, “Heck yeah, God! I’m all in!”