Today we're talking about how to break free from prayer perfection so you can grow closer to God, without all the insecurities.
Raise your hand if you’ve ever felt like you just don’t measure up when it comes to prayer.
Maybe you feel like you don’t know what to say. Or perhaps you’re constantly getting distracted and no matter what you do, you just can’t seem to stay consistent in your time with God.
If this is you, I want you to know you’re not alone.
In fact, I recently sent an email to my subscribers and asked a question on social media that got more responses than I’ve ever received.
This post and episode may contain affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase after clicking some of the links below, although your cost doesn’t change, I may receive a small commission. For more information, see my privacy and disclaimers.
The question was, “What’s your biggest struggle when it comes to prayer?”
And the replies were so incredible, let me just share a handful with you.
- My biggest obstacle with praying is how to pray. What words do I use?
- I was never taught how to pray.
- I can’t seem to get consistent, and I think I am not praying right.
- I think my biggest struggle is having space to myself… I don’t have a quiet space where I can just be me, and my thoughts and God right now.
- My biggest struggle is me. I have feelings of inadequacy when I pray. I know He knows my heart, and there is no wrong way to have a conversation with Him but that feeling is always there.
- I would have to say that my biggest challenge of praying is that my mind wanders. Sometimes it feels like I have a thousand tabs opened in my brain all at one time.
- My biggest struggle is just doing it. I want to make time or articulate it well, but then don’t follow through.
- There are times I pray right then and there and then there are other times I don’t even think to pray about it.
If you’re nodding your head, saying, “Yes! That’s me,” then I’ve got you, my friend.
Breaking the shackles of perfection in prayer
In this episode, we’re wrapping up our 3-part series, called Unshackled Faith. (Be sure to catch the entire series, if you haven’t done so already.)
I’m starting the show with a great story from one of my Grow Your Faith Community Members, and I bet you can relate.
Then I’ll dive into…
- How and where to pray.
- Creating a prayer habit that doesn’t feel overwhelming.
- The truth about distractions and how to tame them.
My mission is to help women grow closer to God in ways that don’t feel so overwhelming. I want to teach them how to let go of perfection to follow God— and that includes you, my friend!
So I’m inviting you to a free 7-day challenge where I’ll take you by the hand and help you break those unrealistic expectations surrounding prayer, so you can show up — perfectly imperfect — just the way God created you.
Simply sign up for Fearless Prayer: 7 days to overcoming doubt and distractions to create a consistent prayer life below, and I’ll get it right out to you.
Then grab those earbuds and your favorite beverage and join me for part three of Unshackled Faith as we explore these unrealistic expectations and learn how to break free from prayer perfection.
How to Break Free from Prayer Perfection at-a-glance
- 00:00 Intro
- 08:07 A lesson on perfection
- 15:41 Unrealistic expectations surrounding prayer
- 18:32 How to pray
- 24:29 How to remain consistent in your prayers
- 31:47 Overcoming distractions during your time with God
- 40:01 Patterns in your faith walk
- 42:16 Wrapping Up
Rate and Review the Show
“I love Tammy and A Faithful God Podcast!.” If that sounds like you, please consider rating and reviewing my show!
This helps me support more women — just like you — grow closer to God and learn how to apply God’s Word to their life.
Simply click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate with five stars, and select “Write a Review.”
Then be sure to let me know what you loved most about this episode!
Mentioned in TODAY’S show
More Ways to Enjoy the Show
Would you rather listen to the audio? I got you, my friend. Just hit the play button below.
Learning how to put our complete trust in God isn’t easy. We say we trust God, but what we really mean is that we trust Him for what we want, when we want it. At Footprints of Inspiration we uncover who you are and why you were created; how to walk in healing through forgiveness; and how to go before the Lord with confidence. Through this journey, you’ll discover that it truly is possible to experience peace, even in the hardest times in your life.
Tammy Rotzoll is the founder and owner of Footprints of Inspiration and podcast host at A Faithful God Podcast (which can be found on your favorite podcast player). She lives in Virginia with her husband and together they’re learning how to navigate their fun, new adventure as empty nesters.
Join Tammy and the FOI community and discover the freedom that comes from saying, “Heck yeah, God! I’m all in!”